Friday, June 10, 2011

M.F.Husain- A Gypsy at Heart


Let me make one point clear. I am not a painter nor I understand the grammar of painting nor am from artistic background. I came to know more about M F Husain when I saw the film- Gajagamini- in 2003. I fell in love with him instantly. What mesmerised me was Husain's great love towards life and the way he led it. Today he is no more. I lost a person who stood for me as an example as to how one can lead a passionate and meaningful life.

In spite of all the controversies attached to his name, he is a great human being. He loved all aspect of the life and lived the life king size- an analogy that itself is too small. He is a Mughalai- an expression that describes a person who is uncaring of materialistic aspects and lives quite passionately- in all respect. He cared least about the world- when it comes to expressing himself through his art, film, or statements.

He considered film as the finest medium of expression and did two superb films ( I have seen only two the other one I have not- which was released in 1967) one Gajagamini and the other Meenaxi. One cannot match the awesome Madhuri and her graceful appearance in the film. I bet you could have never seen Madhuri anywhere in such frame with such gracefulness. ( See Madhuri in M F Husain eyes). In Meenaxi what I loved is the music, lyrics and the way Tabu is captured. (See this Song from Meenaxi)

Such a great human being is made to go on self exile by his fellow countrymen. He was ill treated,disrespected, threatened. He was made to suffer a lot. We created such an environment that, he gave up the citizenship of the country that he loved the most.

I personally thank first lady of Qatar (in picture)- Sheika Mozah bint Naseer al Missned- who took personal interest in providing him Qatar citizenship and accorded due respect by creating separate museum for Husain's artwork in Doha-Qatar.
I think future generation will never forgive for what we did for Husain. However, this great soul died in a great civilized country- Britain- and his body is laid to rest in that soil. At least, I am happy for it.










No comments:

Post a Comment